Why is Python important for Mechanical Engineers?

There is a common myth floating around that Mechanical Engineers do not require to pursue mastery in Python coding. Given that the major industry for mechanical engineers, the automobile industry, is shifting towards electric cars, autonomous transportation, and automation in general, the upcoming batches of mechanical, aerospace, and automotive engineers need to understand how it is possible to integrate mechanical engineering concepts with a programming language to simulate or automate concepts at a faster pace. This is why Python for mechanical engineers is important.

For such a task, Python is considered an ideal, easy, and efficient language for that. Complex issues can be resolved with it in a matter of seconds. Even as an automobile or mechanical engineer, this program is known to be extremely useful in many situations. Some such instances are:

Numerical Analysis: 

One of the most popular applications for Python is to conduct numerical analysis. When problems such as linear equations and ODE or PDE are involved, it can take huge amounts of time to solve these problems analytically. For instance, if you’re trying to figure out the pressure difference across a pipe when there is a liquid flowing through it, not only would it take massive amounts of time to solve such a question, but it is also possible that your end values may be inaccurate hence making it difficult to plot the differences on a graph. 

With programming languages, it is entirely possible to solve problems such as these in a matter of moments and receive graphical simulations in the same instant as well.

Thermodynamics: 

Python is particularly useful for solving classical thermodynamic problems. It does not matter whether your problem involves chemical kinetics or fluid dynamics. One can write a code to solve the problem at hand and save a lot of precious time. Analytically speaking, one spends up to 60% of their time solving their thermodynamic or mathematical problems conventionally and the other 40% of the time rushing through their remaining tasks. On the other hand, one can spend up to 20% of their time solving their problems using the aid of Python and spend the rest of 80% of the time doing the remaining tasks at their own pace. 

CFD: 

In the field of Conceptual Fluid Dynamics (CFD), Python has a huge application in this aspect. If you wish to simulate your problems in CFD software, you will have to write your scripts on platforms such as MATLAB and Python. Python is also used in other areas of mechanical engineerings, such as vibrations and dynamic motions, simulations and modelling engineering, etc. Industries such as mechanical and automobile openly use and accept Python to automate their tasks. Even in situations where the script is written in another language, it is re-written in Python as it is the most common language and works as an interface between industries and codes. 

Companies such as Tesla, Mercedes Benz, Boeing, etc. tend to employ mechanical engineers who have acquired the ability to code using Python.

Conclusion

With the above-stated examples, I can only remotely emphasise the importance of Python in these industries. Also, you must already be knowing the data structures and algorithms in Python. So, I hope that this article was informative and helpful for you.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: